Do I need Travel Insurance for my baby?

The simple answer is YES.
If you don't include your baby or child on your insurance policy, they won't be covered automatically.

Although your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) covers some medical bills, it doesn't cover all your potential medical costs if something goes wrong while you're away.  For example, if you become ill abroad and need to be returned to the UK, the cost can amount to tens of thousands of pounds and the British Embassy doesn't pay for this.

Insurance against cancellation

Illness can strike at any time and with some children's diseases, like chicken pox, your child won't be able travel.  If you book insurance for your family before you book your holiday (or immediately after, depending on the policy), you'll be covered for cancellations such as certified medical problems. If you wait to book the insurance until just before your holiday, you won't be covered for cancellations.

What insurance cover does my family need?

 The Foreign and Commonwealth office recommend that your insurance covers:
  • • Medical and health cover for an injury or sudden illness abroad.
  • • 24 hour emergency service and assistance.
  • • Personal liability cover in case you're sued for causing injury or damaging property
  • • Lost and stolen possessions cover.
  • • Cancellation and curtailment (cutting short your trip) cover.
  • • Extra cover as you need it for activities that are commonly excluded from standard policies, such as jet skiing, winter sports.
(Source:, February 2010 © Crown Copyright )

Finding the best family insurance policy

Think about your year ahead.  Are you going to be travelling more than once in the year? If so, an annual policy will be the best option and is often only slightly more expensive than a single trip policy.

If you're not likely to travel outside of Europe, then of course a worldwide policy isn't necessary.

Check for any discounts.  For example, American Express travel insurance, offers a small discount if you confirm that all the family hold an EHIC.

Look for family policies that offer a good deal when including children.  If you're looking for insurance to include a baby, infants under 2 are free with the AA Travel Insurance.

You might also be interested in:
• European Health Insurance Card: Why you need one and where to get it

• flying with baby and children: Security regulations for baby milk, taking car seats on board, etc.

• baby passports: where and how to apply, baby passport photo rules and more

• Travelling with baby to: your guide to buying baby milk, food and nappies abroad, local car seat regulations and finding a doctor abroad.

Next information page:  find out about the EHIC Card